3a. Identify strategies for differentiating instruction based on students differences.
- Refer to my multicultural awareness final paper. I wrote this after I completed my multicultural education class at UAS. This paper is a reflection paper about what I learned over the course and how much more aware I was of different types of students who really need you to differential instruction for them. This paper also describes the things I would do next time to make my lesson more dynamic and comprehensive for all students in the class.
- Refer to my student recognition paper. This document highlights a student who stood out in the classroom for me. Every month teachers get to pick one or two outstanding students in their classes to be honers by the principle at a luncheon. The paper is the article I submitted to the assistant principle so one of my students could be recognised.
3b. Design instruction that incorporates characteristics of the local community's culture and that is appropriate to students' individual and special needs.
- Refer to my paper developing a research plan. This document is a fake research paper that talks about the nutritional need on students in Juneau as it relates to their academic achievement. This paper demonstrates know how to write a research paper with appropriate controls and methods to make the study reliable and relative.
- Refer to my teacher work sample where I talk about the many ways I differentiated instruction for success of my students. The assignments were part of the unit that had a lot of variety and choices to help students complete their projects. Of course, because I was learning, this paper also has a reflective piece where I talk about what I would do different next time.
- Refer to my lesson plan Native Alaskan Youth Olympic Games, where another Physical education teacher and myself create a comprehensive unit that incorporates traditional Alaskan games like the blanket toss and the seal hop as a fun way to educate my students on Alaska Native history as physical fitness. This lesson is fun and exciting for students.
- Refer to my evaluation by my host teacher and myself where a story is told about a bilingual Tongan students who was too afraid to do her assignments because of her fear of writing in English. I noticed something was wrong and asked her to stay after class one day. She told me everything and I gave her the assignment in partial English and partial Tongan. The look on her face when she walked back into the classroom with a beautiful complete project full of pride and joy would have tugged at any one's heart.