Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Goal 5: Teachers facilitate student learning by using assessment to guide planning, instruction, modification of teaching practices.

5a. Understands how to plan for instruction that is based on students needs and curriculum goals.
  • Refer to my papers that I wrote in 2b, 3b and 4b. These papers describe how I differentiate instruction and set up lesson plans that are conducive to different developmental stages and learning styles. The papers also explains how the content I teach will be used outside the classroom with a lifetime of real life application tools.
  • Refer to my 3 week lesson plan I used for the injury prevention unit. I like to not only use a semester long outline of lesson but I use a mini outline to look at exactly what I want to cover in those three weeks. It helps me plan for guest speakers and days the students might need a computer lab. It's a great way for me to stay organized and make sure I get all activities done on the schedule set for the unit.
  • Refer to my evaluation where I my host teacher and I look at the different ways I planned out my lessons in order to meet all of my students needs. The evaluation explains how I helped meet the needs of my students even if it went beyond the basic instruction from class.
5b. Plan, teach, and assess for optimal student learning.
  • Refer to my semester lesson outline where I briefly map out what I plan to teach over the course of the semester I get to spend with my students. I use this document to guide my lessons and use it as a reminder of how short a semester can be if you don't use every class period for something new to build on.
  • Refer to Backwards Design lesson on the Seven Mechanisms of Disease. This lesson plan demonstrates I understand backwards planning in an important tool to covering a curriculum. The idea of backwards planning makes sense to me, if you do not understand what you want to teach your student and the take home message will be for them, then how will you pick what assignments and notes to give them.
  • Refer to my evaluation where my host teacher and myself evaluate my strengths in this area of planning and teaching the lessons that I have created for student learning. The evaluation shows how I met this goal and the objectives that go along with it.
  • Refer to my teacher work sample where I demonstrate I could plan, teach and assess student work for the benefits of their learning. The teacher work sample also describes the ways I give feedback to student work after it is handed it. It's always a good mixture of positive feedback and if necessary some constructive feedback.
5c. Value assessment and instruction as integrated process.
  • Refer to my teacher work sample where I show and demonstrate my abilities to plan a lesson based on the criteria I wanted my students to learn from the unit. In this section I show how I use backward design and scaffolding to plan my units.